Emphasis in the second funding period will be on
- the collection of large datasets by next-generation sequencing (NGS),
- the detailed functional analysis of genes involved in adaptation, and
- the integration of models and data based on powerful computational approaches.
This synthesis of observations, experiments, and mathematical models will be important for us to work out the general principles of selection and population structures shared by these systems and – at the same time – identify the characteristic differences among them.
Thus, we pursue the following goals in the second funding period:
- localizing the genomic targets of selection,
- determining the phenotypic trait under selection,
- measuring the impact of population structure on the tempo and mode of the adaptive process, and
- determining the role of gene flow and natural selection in co-evolutionary systems.